Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Senior Citizen Safety and Independence

I care about seniors. I always have because I realize the knowledge they can share with me life experiences they had that I may never encounter. Some I knew and know don’t have an impressive education background, but their life experiences are nothing you could learn in a classroom.

When talking to my elders I realize that the one thing they want to maintain more than anything is their independence. They don’t want to go to a care center. So my mission is simple – help seniors maintain their independence and stay at home. That is why I recommend using simple technology to allow them to remain at home and allow the primary caregiver or child to rest easy knowing their loved ones are safe.

My grandmother was able to live in her own home until she was in her 90’s and what allowed us peace of mind was a little pendant she wore around her neck. Every morning when she would get up she would put the pendant around her neck and if she were to fall or need help she could push the button and her doctor and family would be notified that she needed help.

This simple technology can be a life saver because most long-term injuries from a fall are due to not getting immediate care. It is also waterproof so it can be worn in the shower where there is always more of a chance of falling.

I know that I love my older family members and friends and for less than a dollar a day, allowing them to remain independent and giving me the peace of mind is priceless.

There are a number of services out there to try, but they are not all the same.

1 comment:

  1. My father is frail due to his old age. But despite of this, I don’t worry him a lot because he is assisted by the Just5 cell phone I gave him. With one press to its SOS button, I’m confident that he can get the assistance he needs at once. The phone has an automatic alarm, automatic dialing, and automatic loudspeaker so even my father is at peace in times he is alone as long as he has this device with him. Another good thing about Just5 is that it isn’t as expensive as the conventional medical alert system.

    ReplyDelete